Almost 30% of earth’s surface is covered by dry land and 30% of this surface is in Asia. It is world’s largest continent regarding area and population. The total area of this continent is about 44,579,000 square kilometers. Moreover, the total population is about 3.9 billion, which makes about 60% of the whole world’s population divided in 48 countries. The most populous countries of Asia are:

No. Flags Country Population Independence Day
1.

China
1,347,348,968 October 1, 1949
2.

India 1,210,493,250 August 15, 1947
3.

Indonesia 237,424,400 August 17, 1945
4.

Pakistan 180,440,500 August 14, 1947
5.

Bangladesh 161,083,900 March 26, 1971
6.

Japan 126,659,683 N.A
7.

Philippines 92,337,852 June 12, 1898
8.

Vietnam 91,519,289 September 2, 1945
9.

Turkey 74,724,269 October 29, 1923
10.

Thailand 66,720,153 January 4, 1948

China is the not only the most populated country of Asia but is also the most populated country in the world. One of the Chinese cities, Shanghai, is the most populated city of the world. The dominant religion of Chinese is Buddhism and Taoism. Minor population also follows Islam, Christianity, and Judaism. China’s economy has shown a marvelous growth in the last decade when the whole world was facing the problem of recession.

India is the second most populated country of Asia and is considered as the seventh largest country regarding area. It is located in the southern part of Asia. The dominant religion of this country is Hinduism. India also has a variety of other religions including Islam, Sikhism, Jainism, and Christianity. It is because of having so many religious societies that there are different cultures followed in India.

Indonesia is the third largest country in Asia in terms of population. It has 300 different cultural groups. These cultural groups have originated from Indian, Arabic, Chinese and European regions. This country has the freedom of choosing religion but officially recognized religions of Indonesia are Islam, Protestantism, Roman Catholicism, Hinduism, Buddhism and Confucianism.

Pakistan is the fourth largest populated country in Asia. Pakistan is a claims itself to be a secular state on international level, still its official religion is Islam. There are some other religions seen in Pakistan like Hinduism and Christianity as well. Culture of Pakistan varies from area to area. Different people living in different provinces possess different cultures. It is an agricultural country.

Bangladesh is considered as the fifth most populous country of Asia. Being a historic part of India and Pakistan, its culture resembles both of these countries a lot. The dominant religion of this country is Islam. But a large number of its population also follow Hinduism.

March 3, 2010 | Khadija Afzal | 5 Comments | 769 views